Saturday, December 1, 2007

Time, see what has become of me

I have always wanted to write a food blog; doing so has proved more difficult than I imagined when I started this thing. I began this blog months and months ago in Harvard's Lamont Library. It was 3 am, I was trying to write a paper on Ulysses, and expounding on food, Bloom's or mine, seemed to me an incredible luxury. Now here I am, graduated from school and with all the time in the world. I have a kitchen, the time, the inclination, and, I hope, the skill, to cook whatever I want. The world is my oyster, right?

We'll see. The spirit that prompted my first post is still alive: eat consciously and well, eat while respecting food's origins and preparation, eat, eat, and eat some more. I am inspired by Calvin Trillin's indefatigable appetite and M.F.K. Fisher's attention to relationships around food and Barbara Kingsolver's belief that eating well and eating responsibly (and writing about it!) are not mutually exclusive. I still love to read, clearly, and I have always loved to eat. Let the meals begin.

No comments: